Monday, July 14, 2008

I believe in what?



So i was having lunch with a couple yesterday.
These people are great (and dangerous) thinkers.

Maybe in a later post' i will elaborate on one or some of his twelve points he believes the church must adopt to move forward in an authentic way.
(I must admit i was nervous about one of them as it recommended there should be no 'paid' leadership in the church..... Selfishly i thought only about myself and my future.... ahhrr! )
Anyways. So in their mission work (somewhere over the sea's) they mentioned one of the most fundamental tools they use for teaching believers and disciple makers is the Apostles' Creed.

I have herd of it and understand it as some statements of belief. I began to think though:
Would my youth group know it?

I don't mean weather they could memorize then recite it for a jelly bean or star by their name.
i mean could they say it and mean it?

Here it is:

The Apostles' Creed
I believe in God, the Father Almighty,
maker of heaven and earth.
And in Jesus Christ, his only Son, our Lord,
who was conceived by the Holy Spirit,
born of the virgin Mary,
suffered under Pontius Pilate,
was crucified, died and was buried.
He descended into hell.
The third day He rose again from the dead.
He ascended into heaven
and sits at the right hand of God the Father Almighty.
From thence He will come to judge the living and the dead.
I believe in the Holy Spirit,
the holy Christian[9] Church,
the communion of saints,
the forgiveness of sins,
the resurrection of the body,
and the life everlasting. Amen.[1
Have i communicated these foundations truths to the people i am pastoring as important...... essential!??

hmm?

These are truth statements.
Yet it is often feelings not facts that determines the commitment/worship level for our young people on any particular day... Its how i 'feel' that often determines mine also.

So maybe its time to bring back some 'Old School' recital back?

2 comments:

Clive Smit said...

Old School has always rocked!

Well done on joining the blogging revolution... go you tiger go!

Dave C said...

Good call Matt. I remember a lecturer talking about the value of creedal awareness in reference to a situation in the Solomons (or some other small pacific nation) some years ago. He explained that some heretical ideas were creeping into the churches there, and the only churches that survived the fallout were the creed-quoting ones. He attributed the doctrinal steadfastness of those churches to the anchoring effect of the creeds.

I would high-five you if you took your youth through a series on each stanza of the Apostles Creed, and then I would pay you $5 for a copy of your teaching material and run our youth through it too!

Nice work on the blog. I have subscribed to your feed. :)